HR HANDBOOK to the CIVIL SERVICE RULES
Welcome to the SCS Human Resources Handbook!
The Civil Service Rules govern the general terms of employment for all state classified employees. The state constitution gives the force and effect of law to the SCS Rules and requires all state agencies to follow them. The purpose of the HR Handbook is to present supporting information and serve as a companion to the rules, directives and procedures issued by the department in one place. While new directives may be initially issued through General Circulars or SCS Notification to publicize them, they must also be incorporated into this Handbook.
Updates, Revisions and Questions
HR Handbook Updates and Revisions will be disseminated via the SCS HR Notification email and General Circular list serv. All updates will contain a revision date. If you have a question or need help with something, please email SCSInfo@la.gov or call (225)342-8274.
HR Handbook Update Notifications
Organization of the HR Handbook
Each chapter of the SCS Rules has a companion chapter in the HR Handbook. Each chapter, where applicable, is organized in the following sections:
- Reference to the SCS Rules
- PDF Version of the HR Handbook material
- HR Impact
- Rule-By-Rule Explanation
Procedures, Job Aids and Resources, and Forms reside both inside chapters as well as independently outside of each chapter as applicable.
Table of Contents
- CHAPTER 1: Definitions
- CHAPTER 2: Civil Service Commission — powers, public meetings, procedures for adopting and amending the rules, etc.
- CHAPTER 3: Duties of the Director of Civil Service
- CHAPTER 4: Classified and Unclassified positions
- CHAPTER 5: Classification Plan — Allocation of Positions, Reallocations, Business Reorganizations, Job Creations, Job Specifications and Job Evaluation
- CHAPTER 6: Pay rules (for Promotion, Demotion, Reallocation, Details, Performance Adjustments, etc.)
- CHAPTER 7: Repealed
- CHAPTER 8: Repealed
- CHAPTER 9: Probationary Period
- CHAPTER 10: Performance Evaluation System
- CHAPTER 11: Hours of Work, Annual, Sick and Other Forms of Leave
- CHAPTER 12: Discipline; Corrective Actions; Separations
- CHAPTER 13: Civil Service Appeals
- CHAPTER 14: Prohibited Activities
- CHAPTER 15: Effecting and Reporting Actions
- CHAPTER 16: Investigations
- CHAPTER 17: Layoff Avoidance Measures, Layoffs and Post Layoff
- CHAPTER 18: Transition Rules
- CHAPTER 19: Transition to new pay structure
- CHAPTER 20: Pilot of transaction approval changes
- CHAPTER 21: Overtime and Overtime Compensation
- CHAPTER 22: Requirements for Filling Job Vacancies
- CHAPTER 23: Appointments
- CHAPTER 24: Transfer of Governmental Functions and Acquisitions
- CHAPTER 25: Training and Workforce Development